Woman of Color

Being a woman of color In this industry is hard. Mega hard. I’m a Latina who is proud of her roots and I won’t ever deny where I came from.

I believe we live in a society where color is important. However, I never knew that it would affect my work and doing what I love to do the most. When I say it affects me, it’s because I see it all of the time. Doors that I am qualified to go through open for others but not for me because I am Latina. I am dark skinned and I reach what some companies believe is an not an ideal demographic. They often question whether or not I can sell their brand. Iโ€™ve also taken notice to who brands do and don’t repost. Some brands with a huge platform will only allow certain looks or physical types.

I was once told by a brand that I was not fit for their style. Mind you, Iโ€™ve spent thousands on this particular brand which I love. But for them to say that I don’t fit in their criteria made me wonder. So wait, does that mean that as a woman of color I shouldn’t spend money on certain brands because they don’t repost or hire woman of color to promote their brand?  The way I see is  I was born this way and believe God has a plan for me bigger than life. I have been fortunate to work with amazing brands, but I have also been rejected by plenty other brands. I feel like that shouldn’t stop me. I should prove to the industry that I don’t have to be a certain color to wear a particular designer.

It bothers me to the point it that it has made me cry but I keep going, and I’m so proud of how far I have made it by not listening to those naysayers. The ones who don’t believe. I take pride on my work. I might not be the most perfect blogger, but I certainly have learned to be one who inspires all kinds of people. People of color, Latinos.. I feel because I’m of color and Latina I need to be excellent at what I do. I need master this talent of mine and make sure my journey is awesome.

So next time you feel like we don’t count, or you don’t count for whatever reason, STOP IT RIGHT THERE and don’t take personal. This is not only for latinos or women of color. This is for everyone who ever felt as if they didn’t get an opportunity because of their gender, status, or belief. You count and I count. One day the industry will adjust to us and then they will know that we are equally capable and just as good as the rest.

Thanks for stoping by xo, K

Yulisa
    April 14, 2017 at 6:55 pm

Wow!!! Ese traje esta bello!!! I mean everything you post is gorgeous!

Rhonda
    April 14, 2017 at 8:51 pm

GREAT BLOG!! I love each pic. Thank you

Nicole
    April 14, 2017 at 9:35 pm

I’m so happy you shared your feelings in this matter. I can identify with your feeling of rejection and bias. I feel it everyday being a women of color who work is in the medical field. I am a nurse who happens to be black! I work as hard if not harder just to be equal in the eyes of the very people who judge me. I have written in my blog as well nursing while black @ napnag.com thank you kyrzayda and continue to strive and preserve!! We out here love you xoxox

Theresa
    April 15, 2017 at 9:39 am

If God be for you who can be against you! We were made in his image and likeness. So it doesn’t matter what anyone TRIES to say or do. You are excellent and what you do! You are inspiring and i admire how you work so hard! God Bless!

Earla-Ashlee Massiah
    April 15, 2017 at 10:14 am

Keep Pushing Kyrzayda! You Got This !!!

April 15, 2017 at 1:16 pm

Wow! Perfect look <3

Michelle
    April 16, 2017 at 9:14 am

I don’t think the perfect blogger exists. I follow women with a unique voice and perspective. It’s our imperfections and differences that make us interesting IMO. And I hope you stopped supporting that brand who didn’t support you. Life is too short…just keep killing it and the good stuff will keep coming your way ๐Ÿ™‚

Vilma
    April 17, 2017 at 6:14 am

This dress is on fire! Absolutely gorgeous.

April 17, 2017 at 10:32 am

YES MY SISTER……..I love this. We are Latinas and that’s that. Whoever doesn’t like it keep it moving. Like you said one day they will adjust to us and see that yes we are more than capable. Love this look……keep doing what you do. Your inspiration will continue to get you to higher platforms ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ˜‰

Jennifer
    April 17, 2017 at 10:32 pm

Hi Kyrzayda,

My name is Jennifer, I’ve been following you for a few years. Your style and blogging I read faithfully all the time! This post I wasn’t too sure, should I voice what I would like to share with you. But maybe me sharing will help you. There are two things I love about your post. You have rare style and your Afro-latina also from D.R. In my opinion you have a very large platform because you cater to one of the most biggest minorities every growing and that represents and spends a lot of money The hispanic community the Afro-Carribbean and African American community. I do get and that’s certainly true every brand has a demographic as minorities we have changed things in history being the first! which I’m very proud of! Maybe reaching out for the brands that caters to the Afro-Carribbean community and other brands that supports latina and the Afro community other doors will open! I’m sharing this because through post you never mention your Afro-latina or “black” Yes your dark skin but your also courageous and beautiful! I’ve followed your story and your blog for awhile and I’m your neighboring neighbor back home also my Abuela comes from Barahona, DR. I hope maybe sharing you will see maybe that you will continue to break barriers or be the first to by being a woman of color! Your skin is not a curse, your skin is touched by God! God Bless Kyrzayda!

With Love,
    Jennifer

April 19, 2017 at 11:37 am

Thank you so much. I totally agree with you. I was not complaining at all about my color but just touching on a Subject we all rather stay silent about. : ) Tnx for reading.

Enfnts Terribles
    April 18, 2017 at 11:01 am

Indeed you should never ignore your roots!
    Keep up the good work gril ๐Ÿ˜‰ We got your back

ENFNTS TERRIBLES | http://www.enfntsterribles.com

pat
    April 18, 2017 at 5:40 pm

Kyrzayda , I want to share with you that what you are doing stands alone. You are doing an AWESOME job and you inspire soooo many people. Consider this thought that the creator of W-D40 tried 39 times before someone believed in the product, and the rest is history. What if he had quit at the 39th time? Your commitment to your faith in Jesus Christ, your blog, all who follow you will not be forgotten or go unnoticed. Remember at all times that HE watchfully cares for his children and CAN AND WILL NOT fail you. Keep up the good work, keep pressing forward knowing that James 1:17 is true. Be encouraged

Leslie
    April 19, 2017 at 2:21 am

Yes! As another Black woman blogger I completely understand this sentiment. It can be extremely hard to see brands working with the same type of blogger over and over again. But remember God said our gifts would make room for us – so keep going!

Xx,
    Leslie / @hautemommie / http://www.thehautemommie.com

Renee
    April 19, 2017 at 8:41 pm

I am soo happy you talked about this! Ur style is amazing & ive been offended when I don’t see you on others pages because I see how hard you go for them! Unfortunately I don’t feel wanted by some of the brands you blog, but trust me YOU make me feel good to be a woman a stylish woman of color …. so thank you!

Daisy
    April 20, 2017 at 3:23 pm

It sucks that we, as women of color especially, always have to prove ourselves. We always have to be twice as good and work twice as hard just to get our foot in the door. Thank you for continuing to pursue your dreams. You have always been my #1 blogger inspiration.

April 21, 2017 at 7:20 pm

Moise Andreea
    April 21, 2017 at 7:24 pm

How can i start my fashion design careere at 14 years old?