Happy Monday loves,
January will make two years of me blogging full time. It has been such a rollercoaster, but I’m so happy to have gone through this journey with you guys. A lot of changes have occurred over the years; Instagram has made huge changes from when I first opened my page back in 2012. I remember when I had started out around 5k followers and now we are at over 200k. As things changed and evolved so did my career. 2016 was the year I decided to quit my job and focus on my brand full time. I really wasn’t prepared but I knew I had to make it happen. The struggles came along big time but I learned throughout my journey that being consistent was KEY.
I wanted to share some tips for those who are new to blogging. Hope this helps for you as it did for me!
1. Consistency. Always be consistent in the things that you want to accomplish.
2. Be authentic (Instagram feed or any other social media handle will drive you crazy, I’ve seen it happen so much and it has happened to me at some point) Don’t try to be like the next big thing. In other words…be yourself!
3. For those who want to engage with followers on their IG. Look at your IG stories like a story book. Just like when reading a great book, you want to make sure your IG story grabs your audience. That is how you gain real people that want to know who you are.
4. Not everything is a paid campaign. Make sure you also have a passion for blogging. For years I blogged and made no money. Fast forward to now, some months are amazing and some months are slower than others. Accept that this is what happens, even at your highest peak. Save as much as you can and your bills in advance that helps me a lot.
5. With that being said, not everything FREE is good. Don’t get caught up on the FREEBIES. This can sometimes be a problem because people fall into promoting products they don’t even believe in. Invest in items that are key for you and your blog. Eventually those PR will notice and brands will want to work with you.
6. Sacrifice….even if that means long nights and long days. You have to sacrifice a lot of time building your brand. You need to be in the same mindset as well.
7. When taking your own pictures, for filters I use VSCOM and Facetune.
8. Invest in a good camera or a good photographer. That is VERY important. @Thugnanny_ is my Main photographer.
9. If you decide that you want to make blogging full time, make sure you have a good platform that genuinely follow you because of the content you provide. If you decide to make blogging full time, make sure you’re ready to work 24/7.
10. It’s ok to not have a team in the beginning. Listen, I wish (especially now that I’m sick) that I had 5 girls doing my blog duties but I don’t and it’s ok! How are you suppose to be a good blogger if someone else is doing the work for you? Sometimes you have to do things all on you own if need be, and as you grow, so will your brand, and a team will come out of it.
11. People always ask me if I make good money. I am at a point now where I am finally seeing the fruition of my labor, but it was and still is hard work. I still at times work for free if I believe in the product but I don’t sell myself short at all. I’m able to pay my bills, save & take care of needs so YES God has been a good provider.
12. Organization is also key- have a calendar with your events, posts and your blog posts. I sometimes forget some of my events so making sure I stay up to date on my calendar is vital. Being organized is super important in this industry.
13. Last but most importantly having a balance is a must. I learned these past few weeks how important health is. Yes, I have a dream but what good is it If I’m sick or not well. Learn to balance everything out. Being your own boss is time consuming, but I’ve learned to really prioritize and make time for the things that are important to me besides my career, like Family and my health. Find what makes you happy and learn to balance all the things in your life equally.
Hope this helps a bit. As time goes by I keep learning, growing and I remain positive that GOD has opened this path for me and for everyone who has a dream. Go after your dream but also take care of yourself. ❤