BEAUTY OOTD

Diversity!

HI Darlings,

Hope everyone is having a perfect start to their weekend. I wanted to link up with you guys to address a small issue that happened last January.

As many of you might have seen my live and a few other posts from a couple of weeks ago, some of my fellow bloggers and I felt the need to express ourselves about the lack of diversity going on with Revolve and other companies amongst them.

If you are not sure what or who Revolve is, they are huge and well known e-commerce company that sells fashionable goods from amazing high end brands. I myself have been a loyal customer of Revolve and was my go to place whenever I needed to go shopping… which was like every week.

Back in January when a photo of the revolve trip in Thailand made headlines, things got messy.
Why? There was one little problem with the photo. It had no WOC, no curvy girls, no hispanic chicas other than the ones who looked like they weren’t.  This really bothered me so much and to top it off, Aimee from Song of style made an inappropriate comment stating that maybe there was not enough of us, meaning diverse influencers. Wait! Not enough of us, thats BS!
There are so many talented bloggers that are of color especially Latinas of color like myself. I might not have been blogging for 10+ years as Song of Style or Sincerely Jules, but we have earned a spot right next to them because we work just as hard to build a platform from nothing, which is exactly where most of them began as well. Most of us had no mommy and daddy either paying our bills and our luxuries. I know many bloggers who work so hard to be where they are, no short cuts and are just as great as the vets in this industry.

So I went on a mini rampage about the situation and seeking for change not only from Revolve but from other brands that don’t take Latina bloggers or women of color serious. There is such a misconception in this industry and that is why you don’t get to see as much diversity or variety. Let’s be real, how many of you scroll down your feed and feel like it all looks the same?

A few weeks later I received an email from Revolve and it was straight to the point, “we would love to work with you.” It took me about 2 weeks to get back to them because I had mix feelings about it.

Revolve, this was never about money or you sending me to Thailand, it was about diversity. It’s more about recognition and being attentive to those who actually spend the money on your company and tag you. A like when we shop your items and post it on IG, would be quite nice sometimes.
You see I pay for my photos and in a way when I tag you, I help promote your sales and I didn’t even ask or receive anything in return. I have the option of not shopping Revolve, but I know there was a solution to this problem. We needed to be heard. We simply just ask for diversity on your page, ads, campaigns, events, etc…

I decided to go for it and I accepted their peace offering. I want to see and believe in a diverse future, I want to be involved and I want to believe that by doing so I, just like many others have started a chain of change.

I love most of the brands they work with. Since I did end up connecting with them,  I picked up a few items for Fashion week. Sharing these looks today with you here. The jacket and House of Harlow top both from Revolve!!

I hope you guys understand why I made the decision to work with them and I hope I can one day be a part of the revolve family!!

Enjoy the looks, xo K

March 4, 2018 at 4:42 am

Love your style! x

Rhonda
    March 4, 2018 at 12:21 pm

I hope they do change and I hope you can be a part of that, and not just receive free stuff.

Unashamed colored Girl
    March 4, 2018 at 8:34 pm

I guess your choice is your own. Do you really expect change? Or is there a different motive? No matter what they win. They got you and your viewers. Stand for something or fall for everything. Good luck I hope your bowing down helps your mission for colored girls.

ANTIBS
    March 5, 2018 at 11:02 am

Address why Vici Dolls NEVER shows women of color on their website, IG, or any other social media sites. You are a HUGE part of them. Start with them first, then move on to other companies.

March 5, 2018 at 12:18 pm

Please address it with them! Thank you

R
        March 6, 2018 at 6:58 am

😒

Unashamed colored Girl
      March 5, 2018 at 12:29 pm

Wow she just disregarded your comment. I guess the paycheck outweighs her culture and mission for diversity. No shade just truth.

I call BS
      March 5, 2018 at 3:29 pm

Yes. She really did just bypass your comment. How convenient to not address the company that’s actually paying her, but started an uproar to get the attention of the company she actually wants to work with. Hmmmmm

ANTIBS
    March 5, 2018 at 5:48 pm

She is disillusioned. NOT TRANSPARENT to the real issues on Diversity. I Digress. Most of these bloggers are Fake.

R
      March 8, 2018 at 8:14 pm

💯

ANTIBS
    March 6, 2018 at 3:36 pm

Gigi, because VICI takes care of her, like she told me when she DM’d me on my IG page, after I called VICI out for lack of Colorism. I don’t know Kryzayda and was a huge fan, but she is IGNORING the truth.

R
    March 6, 2018 at 6:42 pm

Gigi – very well put. I really hope she responds. If she remains silent/dismissive on this issue I will not be able to continue to support her. 😔

March 8, 2018 at 10:35 am

You don’t have too my dear. Thank you

March 9, 2018 at 7:53 am

Thank you for you message, First of all this is not a pay vacation because I can afford those Thank God! This is about Revolve doing the right thing at least working with us and this is just a small step and I believe we can do it! Second Vici Dolls and I have been working for over 2 years. They pay me but it’s not like I’m getting a millon bucks for post. I know my value and money does not define my work. Let’s not forget I have been working for free for 4 years before I even got notice. The society we live in makes more complicated. Please express your concern with every store that lucks women of color which most of them. Thank you and have a nice day.

ANTIBS
    March 9, 2018 at 3:39 pm

You should address those concerns with them Kyrzayda, especially the ones you’re working with as an Ambassador. Why should we? Most of us are spectators. Also, calling out other well-known bloggers is a big no no in the industry. Address the companies.

R
      March 9, 2018 at 7:25 pm

She’s erased several comments. It’s obvious what she’s really after. She doesn’t care about diversity, she just wants free stuff👎🏾

R
    March 9, 2018 at 7:30 pm

She went on a full blown rant about Revolve , got her followers to rally behind her and for what? So she can get free shit!?

March 10, 2018 at 8:21 pm

You did what you felt was best and for that you should not be judged. You work for what you have done or got and work hard at it. I don’t disagree with your choice because it’s just that your choice. You used your platform how you saw fit. Great job and great looks……💜😉

SH
    March 13, 2018 at 3:59 pm

I am a bit confused by what some of us would have her to do, truly. She is sick with Cancer, and has to pay for the treatments or the insurance which pays for the treatments , through these jobs…I am assuming.
    So, are those who are saying she buckled asking her to choose between those treatments vs standing up for that “they perceive” to be truth?
    I am really having a hard time with this. What would you have her choose?

March 14, 2018 at 12:42 pm

I really appreciate you standing with me. Some people will never understand. At least I was honest on the blog not acting shady. But I realized you will never make people happy ever!

Gigi
      March 14, 2018 at 1:27 pm

I would never have her choose her health or wealth over the jobs. My only point was that Kyrzayda is now an influencer and she can now do just that..influence. The saying goes to whom much is given, much is required. It is sometimes the cost of success. Issa Rae the lead actress and writer on the HBO show Insecure, when asked about the future said this: “When asked what success was going to look like and what her goals were going to be moving forward, Rae responded, “holding the door open.” She describes that being black in the industry, she was told that she didn’t have an audience, that there isn’t work, or that they couldn’t find jobs for her. “For me, it’s about providing those opportunities, and now that the door is open for me, making sure that the door stays open so that other people can walk through and tell their stories.”
      And after the success of Black Panther Michael B. Jordan pledged this about his production company:” .. Mr. Jordan pledged that Outlier would meet certain diversity requirements…” “I’ve been privileged to work with powerful woman & persons of color throughout my career, and it’s Outlier’s mission to continue to create for talented individuals going forward.”
      So my dear Kyrzayda, please go influence.

SH
    March 17, 2018 at 11:21 pm

Gigi, with all due respect, those people you have named do not currently have cancer ( as far as we know). None of them are walking in her shoes. I am going to take it to a personal place…if it were YOUR mama, sister, auntie or cousin with cancer and they needed money to pay for treatments, would you have them pass on the job? Maybe instead of just offereing advice which costs us nothing, we would do more than just talk. If it were a family member who we have personal stake in, we would come out of our pockets to help relieve the financial burden that loved one would feel in passing this job. Not one of the people who have posted a negative comment, I’m assuming (again), have given money so that she does not have to take this job. Because it kind of sound like this to me ” Pass on that job, because you’re an influencer. And not having money to pay for them treatments is just the price you have to pay!” I imagine this to be said with a shrug of the shoulders. Its simply cruel.

Also, if Kyrzayda’s comments to Revolve were to get them to start to diversify and they reach out to her to add diversity, isn’t that exactly what we want? Or are we looking to punish them for not having diversity in the first place?

My last point: Kyrzayda, coming from a black woman married to a man from the motherland, who has black babies ( I am saying all this to let you know it doesnt get any BLACKER), I would take that job in a heart beat. Girl, cause you cant please people. They are never satisfied.

Michener Nehmiah
    March 25, 2018 at 8:09 pm

At the end you’ve made your choice and I hope you turn out happy and content with it!